Like most things in life, overexposure to it can be harmful in various ways. In the case of video games:
- Eye strain, headaches, and cumulative sight loss from staring at a screen for too long.
- Insomnia if you immediately go from looking at a bright screen to trying to sleep.
- Depression from lack of physical interaction with friends and family.
- Muscle and joint pain/degradation from remaining in one position for extended periods of time.
- Hemorrhoids from sitting for too long.
The list goes on— but I think it’s worth noting that none of these are caused by video games specifically. It’s how you play them and how often that’s the key. Thus, it’s entirely possible to avoid these issues by setting limits on how long you play, and by taking breaks to stretch and walk around.